AudioActivism.org and the radio show 3URLs is an ongoing project created by Brian C. Russell. My Internet home and portfolio since 1998 is yesh.com..
My life rebooted during the G.W. Bush inauguration protest of 2001. Everything before that now seems but fundamental at best. Marching with friends, who convinced me I should go, opened my eyes. I saw things I had only heard about. Such as large groups of police marching to intimidate marchers, helicopters stalking a marches progress, police surrounding peaceful marchers trapping them for hours preventing them from continuing, many vans of police racing ahead of protesters to create human walls to stop them, hateful cowboy hat fur coat wearing people shouting, protest puppet theatre, checkpoints and walls built to stop people from seeing their new emperor. My experience that day was not violent. I didn’t suffer as many in Seattle did. But I felt for the first time that my simple actions spoke loud and clear. We all said together, “You are not my President! We the people did not elect you!”
Ever since then my whole personal paradigm has changed. These are some of the things I did that mean the most to me.
• I met Ruby whom I love with all my heart.
• Indymedia Global and Indymedia North Carolina challenged me to make my own media.
• I signed a petition to get Ralph Nader on the ballot in Virginia in 1999 and he did! (I never thought it would work…VA is a very conservative state!)
• I voted for Nader in 2000 with no regrets! (ah how times change so fast)
• I saw the great similarities between the Democrats and Republicans and understood their lies.
• I understood how the whole world compromises and it is ok to be a socialist and shed my capitalist addictions one at a time.
• I got laid off my big corporate tech job and became very creative again.
• I quit a small contract job on principal alone.
• I joined the Americorps VISTA program to build computer infrastructure for people in need.
• I read Howard Zinn’s ‘A People’s History of the United States: 1492 Present’.
Though mistakenly attributed to Winston Churchill the quote, “Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has no heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains.”, fits me in the complete reverse. I am a liberal man over 30 who has a heart. I care more as I become wiser and do more about the problems I see.